Periodisation for triathlon specific strength training
There are four main phases of periodisation for specific strength training in triathlon: preparation phase (after the end of the tri season), max strength (winter), sport specific and race phase.
In this short article, we will look closer on the first two, as we are just about to start our adaptation phase.
- starts after the end of the racing season
- this phase prepares muscles and joint for maximum strength phase, build a solid base and prepare for increased loads
- 2-3 sessions per week
- reps 8-10
- start with lightweights and apply a smart progression
- never increase weight more than 10% between sessions
Maximum strength (Heavyweight) phase
- improve force generation
- become as powerful as possible
- increase the power-weight ratio
- 2 sessions per week
- reps 3-6
- recovery 2-4 min
3-6 reps, weight lighter, slow and controlled
lightweights, body weight, explosive,
up to 8 reps
At the forthcoming 10 weeks Endurance Strength Club block, for the first 4 weeks, we will focus on adaptation – to learn new exercises, to build a solid base.
In the next 6 weeks, we will focus on the maximum strength – to become as powerful as a bull.We will follow the same periodisation in the block starting after the New Year.